Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Atticus update part deux!

Recently, Animal Friends resident Dorian (now Atticus) was adopted into a loving home, where he started out living in his own cozy room. This blind cat--whose eyes were removed due to life-threatening disease--has turned out to be a feline of many talents, and we thank him for sending us another update! By Atticus, guest blogger, with a little help from his new mom, Katie Tontala WOW!!! This past week I got to explore other parts of the house - and I can’t wait to tell you all about it! On the first day, mom just let me go up and down the hall so I could get used to the smells. The next day I got to go in my brothers’ and sisters’ rooms. I had no problem finding my way around-mom says it’s because I have such a little nebby nose! Mom sat by the doors of the rooms, and if I got a little confused, she called my name so I could get myself oriented again, but I really didn’t need much help. Now, every morning before mom goes to work, she lets me explore and then I get to do it all evening when she is home. I’ve got it down pat! One night I woke up and decided I wanted to find mom. I discovered that if I hit the screen that keeps me in my room a few times it will fall over and I can get out! So I went to my mom’s bedroom and meowed. She said “Atticus, it's 2 am!” She picked me up, gave me a kiss on the head and put me back in my room. Then, she put a big artificial tree in front of the screen to hold it in place and I went back to sleep for a bit. Guess what? If I hit the screen a little harder, both of them will fall over and I can still get out! (See, I am smart!) I went to the bedroom again and meowed. She said “Atticus, it is 4:15 in the morning!!” She picked me up again, gave me another kiss on my head and put me back in my room. This time, she closed the door. I don’t know what all this o’clock business is about, and of course I have no idea if it’s dark or light. I haven’t figured out how to push open the wooden door, but I’m not going to give up! Actually, despite the adventures, I really do like my room the best, and will come back in when I want a break. Mom said that is why she kept me in here at first; it’s my safe haven and I will always have a place to go if I get overwhelmed. I also got a bunch of toys to play with. My favorite is the “octopus” string toy. Mom waves it around my feet while I pounce on it. Because I can’t see it, she sprayed a little perfume to help me find it. We play every night before I go to bed - she said she hopes it will tire me out so I don’t get the urge to play explorer in the middle of the night again. For my next adventure, I get to meet my brothers and sisters. Maybe they can help me figure out this door thing? I’ll keep you posted!

8 comments:

  1. YAY! I was so excited to see a new update! Keep them coming, I am also sharing them on my facebook wall for everyone else to read too!
    I'm so glad he is doing well in his new home! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update!! Im glad to hear he got a forever home!!! I still get teared up at this fellow but Im glad he has a loving home! Congrats to you and thank you for taking him in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Atticus sounds like he's doing great! I'm so happy for him - he's got an amazing mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!!! I am so glad he has a new home with a good person who has the love & patience for such a special kitty. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atticus sounds like a wonderful cat. Thank you for sharing your story of adopting a blind cat, hopefully it will inspire others to do the same. It sounds like Atticus may want to snuggle with you at night. You must have a very big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this makes me so happy, to know that someone caring took him in - I'm almost in tears. Good souls deserve great things, both Atticus and his new mom. (Unfortunately in cat mom speak, that does not include sleeping in.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!
    Another cat can always show him his way around. Plus, I'm pretty sure another animal (cat or dog) will figure out that he's blind and will be his little guide friend.

    ReplyDelete