Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dorian’s Happy Tail

By guest blogger Atticus Tontala

Many of Animal Friends' followers read and were touched by the story of Dorian, a blind 8- year-old cat whose eyes were removed due to life-threatening disease. We asked for an update, and were delighted to hear from him (with a little help from his new mom, Animal Friends volunteer Katie Tontala).

Hi Everyone! When many of you saw and heard about me on Animal Friends’ Facebook, I was overwhelmed by all your good wishes. So I just wanted to let you know that about a week ago I found my forever home, and things are just great for me now!

First of all, I am now called Atticus. My mom said a new beginning deserves a new name, so I was named after a character in one of her favorite books. She said she picked that name because the character was very smart and very handsome, just like me!

I am very lucky to have my very own room with my very own food and litterbox. My mom put out three different beds for me to choose from, but my favorite place is the leather desk chair. I am so proud because I found it all by myself and that is where I love to spend my lazy times, sleeping and hanging out.

Right now there is a big screen separating my room from the rest of the house. Mom says I have brothers and sisters to meet, but they need some time to get used to having a new kid in our house. Since I can’t see them, she doesn’t want them to scare me or give me the heebie-jeebies by sneaking up behind me. She said we shouldn’t rush - there will be plenty of time to get to know them.

Sometimes, I sit on one side of the screen and they sit at the end of the hall, checking me out. They seem nice enough, so I’m looking forward to meeting them when they’re ready. When my mom goes to work, she puts on music so I don’t get too bored. I listen to everything from classical to oldies to elevator music. Personally, my favorites are Springsteen and Talking Heads. My mom said, “That’s my boy!” and gave me a kiss on my head. She gives me about a million kisses a day and I give her about a million head butts back!

Tomorrow, I get to come out and start exploring the other rooms, and my new brothers and sisters can come in and start to explore my room! It sounds like so much fun, and I can’t wait! Animal Friends was a great place to spend a little time, but it’s so wonderful to have my own home and somebody who loves me. Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s time for another nap on my favorite chair.

Life is good.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Atticus, you sound so happy in your new home...and I'm so thankful for your Mom, she's one classy lady!

    Please keep us posted on how it goes with your new brothers and sisters, I have a feeling they're going to LOVE you as much as I do!

    Give your Mom another head butt, just for me...stay blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is wonderful! I am so happy for him and so jealous too!
    Thank you for giving us an update and maybe once he has settled in a little bit more we could have another update and some more pictures! Everyone is just so taken with him it's so nice to hear about him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to hear this little guy is doing well. I'm glad I live in a world with compassionate caring people like Atticus's new Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful, happy story!! I'm so happy that he's adjusting to his new home and I hope we get to hear more updates about him!

    ReplyDelete