Please remember to keep your pets safe during your festivities. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Be sure to keep toxic foods out of reach of your pets — especially chocolate, onions, tomatoes, avocados, and grapes.
- Keep in mind that fireworks may scare your pets, so be considerate of this very common animal phobia. Your dog or cat may chew on leftover pieces from fireworks, so make sure you clean them up. Pets can also be burned by fireworks if they get to close to them.
- Never give your pets alcohol, and don't give them food from your picnic or barbecue. Cooked bones from meat can splinter and seriously injure or kill your pet. Better to be safe than sorry.
- Boy, it's hot out! Now imagine yourself with a fur coat on! Always have plenty of water available to your pets so they don't become dehydrated.
- Before you let your pets around the party area, do a safety check. Make sure your pet won't be able to get into the citronella candles, insect repellent, toys with small parts, etc.