Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pen Pal Correspondence from our Alum, Atticus the Cat



Atticus, a blind cat adopted from Animal Friends, has done a great job of keeping us posted on his adventures, although his mom, Katie Tontala, tells us she’s afraid he’s getting lazy – she had to stay after him to write this!

I got a job!!!

Last Saturday, mom told me we were going on our first pet therapy visit to a nursing home. But first, I had to get spiffed up. She brushed me from head to tail and made sure I didn’t have any “stuff” on me (which I usually collect from raiding the closets and snooping under the sofa). Then she put me in my new harness and I climbed in my carrier.

When we got there, about 20 people were sitting in a big room just waiting for me. I felt so special! Mom told them how I was found alone and ended up at Animal Friends. She also explained why I had to have surgery to have my eyes removed and the great job Animal Friends did to save my life. A lot of people asked questions about how I got around without bumping into things and mom explained about how I use my whiskers and sense of hearing and smell. They thought I was awfully smart!

Mom took me from person to person and asked if they wanted to pet me. And boy, did they ever! I didn’t get a chance to count, but I swear I must have gotten a million pets. Some gave me kisses and some gave me treats, and all of them were really, really nice to me. A lot of them told me stories about the cats they had in the past.

One lady was extra nice, so I just sat right down beside her on the couch and put my head on her lap for while. I had a great time and it was fun to explore a new place and meet new people. Even though the hugs and kisses were great, I felt even better because I know I made them happy. When we were ready to leave, Mom asked them if they would like me to visit again some other time and they all said “YES!”

When I got home, Mom said she was so proud of me, and gave me a humongous hug and kiss. She said she was so lucky to have me. Then I went upstairs to my chair and fell asleep with a big smile on my face. It was one of the best days ever.

1 comment:

  1. Atticus, you're the best! (okay, you're tied with your mom for the best). Love these updates in general; love this one in particular.

    ReplyDelete