Thursday, March 12, 2015
“Personal” Cat Grass Containers
Guest Blogger: Suzanne Denk, Animal Enrichment Specialist
Spring is finally upon us and we are so very excited to start enjoying the sunshine, the warm air and...the grass? Yes! Bring a little of the outdoors into an enclosure (or into your home) for enrichment for your kitty. Cat grass is easy to grow and can be made in little disposable containers.
• Wash small plastic containers thoroughly. Small yogurt cups, applesauce cups, or dip snack containers work very well.
• Soak the cat grass seeds for 8 hours or overnight.
• Fill the containers with potting soil.
• Plant the seeds in the soil and water well
• Place in a warm dark location and keep the soil damp, not soggy.
• When the grass sprouts, place the containers in a sunny window. When the grass reaches an inch or two, pass them out to a shelter cat (or your kitty at home) to enjoy.
The enrichment grass will introduce something new to the cat’s enclosure and provide the opportunity to graze for those who choose to indulge!